Wednesday, June 26, 2013

People and Cars

What is it about people and cars? I've been looking through a lot of old family photos and there is a whole category of people photographed with cars.
   Above is an image of me from around 1957 sitting in a toy car posing with neighborhood kids. 
I'm glad I enshrined this photo in a box I made in 1974, because I lost the original print.

 Whatever the reason for this popular genre, it is very useful for dating a photo. Above is an image of my mom, and her sister and brother standing in front of a car captured in a brooch we made in 2012. I'm guessing this photo was taken in 1946 or 1947 as my mom looks about 12 or 13 and the car looks like the late 1930's or maybe 1940.
 I don't know the people in the photo above but they were old friends of my grandmothers'.
 I can date it to the late 1920s from the clothes and the car.

Here is a picture of my grandmother Alice Clement Worden, standing in front of a Buick from about 1939. She would have been about 40 years old. Grandpa switched to Fords in the 1960s.

This is Alice's great grandaughter Avery Reed at age 3 in front of my first Dodge caravan that I bought new in 1991. For the sake of family history, please take some photos with cars this summer and don't forget to PRINT them out on paper.  


No comments:

Post a Comment